My tried and tested (a million times) recipe for a quick and easy Bolognese sauce. This makes enough for about 6 people.
500g lean steak mince (or use half pork half steak mince)
2 red onions
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 little chilli
2 tins of 400g chopped tomatoes
Handful of herbs – dried or fresh, basil & oregano work well
Splash of milk
1/2 tin of Heinz baked beans
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
Salt & pepper to season
Splash of HP sauce
- In a large pot (ideally one that can go from the hob to the oven) sweat the onions, garlic and chilli in some good quality olive oil until soft.
- Add in your mince, and use a wooden spoon to break it all up.
- Add a splash of milk to the pan, this keeps the mince lovely and soft.
- Once the mince has browned, add in your herbs, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil, add salt and better to taste, and splash of HP sauce.
- At this point, if you’ve got time to spare, transfer the pot to the oven, with the lid on, and cook on a low temperature for 1-2 hours, or however long you have. If not, turn the heat down on the hob, put the lid on and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favour type of pasta, I like it with pappardelle, and some freshly grate parmesan cheese.
TOP TIPS: Tastes even better the day after, and is also very tasty served Sloppy Joe style on a soft, white morning roll!